Issued at 10.30am on 14 Sep 2017:
There has been a light dusting of snow across the Barrington Tops overnight with some settled snow between Barrington Trail and 4km east of the Dingo Gate. Given predicted weather conditions reasonable snow cover is likely to remain on the ground today but will likely melt quickly once temperatures rise.
Current conditions are fine with strong winds. Forecast is for fine conditions with no further snow predicted. Forecast maximum today of 7 degrees and overnight minimum of 1 degrees. Check the latest forecast at http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/meteye/
NOTE: Visitors to Barrington Tops should be prepared for rapidly changing extreme weather including wind and sub-zero temperatures. If you get stuck or are involved in an accident, help may be several hours away. Always pack additional warm clothing and extra food and water and always tell someone where you are going and when you’ll be back.
Barrington Tops Forest Road (Gloucester to Scone) currently remains OPEN. Motorists should exercise extreme caution as the narrow, unsealed road can become slippery.
NOTE: During snow events, the status of roads on Barrington Tops can change at short notice or during your visit. NSW Police may close the road at any time to ensure visitor safety. This may prevent access to snow covered areas and result in visitors having to turn back after long periods of travel. Check road closures and conditions before you leave Gloucester or Scone.
The latest available information on road conditions and closures check with:
• Gloucester Visitor Information Centre on 02 6538 5252
• Scone Visitor Information Centre on 02 6545 1526
• Barrington Tops Snow Chaser Facebook page
• Barrington Tops Tourism Facebook page
- Leave the two-wheel-drive at home – four-wheel-drives are best suited for driving in snow and ice conditions
- Check weather and road conditions before you leave home and again before you leave Scone or Gloucester
- Leave plenty of time for the return trip in daylight hours: travel time is up to 1.5 hours from Gloucester or Scone
- Pack additional warm clothing and extra food and water
- Tell someone where you’re going and when you’ll be back.